This post can also be obtainable in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Prior to starting
You need to usually have completed the theory examination before scheduling.
You’ll require your own:
- Great Britain or Northern Ireland driving licence number
- payment card
- You actually don’t require your driving instructor’s individual reference number but, in case you have it, you can use it to confirm their accessibility.
You need to arrange on the phone if you require an ‘upgrade’ test, eg automatic to manual transmission, or medium-sized lorry to a large lorry. Book by telephone if you want an ‘upgrade’ test, eg automatic to manual transmission, or medium-sized lorry to a large lorry.
DVSA booking support
Telephone: 0300 200 11 22
Monday to Friday, 8am to midday
You are able to book an exam through the DVSA fast track phone number service if you’re an authorized driving instructor (ADI).
Situations that don’t require a theory test
You don’t require a theory test to reserve a:
- car and trailer test
- lorry and trailer test
- test to progress through the bike categories
- large bus test, when you’ve got a medium bus licence
- bus and trailer test
- large lorry test, when you’ve got a medium lorry licence
- taxi test
- tractor test
- test to upgrade from automatic to manual